Fort Collins is a stunning and energetic city located in the northern part of Colorado.
Together, you can enjoy an endless variety of entertaining and relaxing activities and make new memories with family and friends.
In this beautiful city, there are countless attractions to discover, including breweries, beautiful gardens, amazing museums, serene parks, important historical sites, breathtaking hiking routes, entertainment venues, and more.
To assist you in making your ideal vacation a reality, take a look at the list of the best things to do in Fort Collins, Colorado, that I have personally compiled below.
- Things to do in Fort Collins Colorado
- 1. Fort Collins City Park is a Great Place to Have a Picnic
- 2. Visit the Fossil Creek Reservoir Natural Area to Observe Birds
- 3. View the Magnificent Art at 3 Square Art Gallery
- 4. Free Beer at New Belgium Brewing Company
- 5. Paddle a Kayak in Poudre River Whitewater Park
- 6. The Fort Collins Outdoor Archery Range is a Great Place to Hone Your Shooting Kills
- 7. The Northern Colorado Astronomical Society Invites You to Take in the Night Sky
- 8. Visit the Annual Flower Trial Garden and Delight Your Senses
- 9. Explore the Gregory Allicar Museum of Art’s Vast Collections
- 10. Stay Active at Spring Canyon Park
- Best Places To Eat in Fort Collins
- Best Places to Stay in Fort Collins
- When Are You Planning your Fort Collins Trip?
Things to do in Fort Collins Colorado
1. Fort Collins City Park is a Great Place to Have a Picnic
What to do in Fort Collins to enjoy outdoor pursuits?
In Fort Collins City Park on West Mulberry Street, get your picnic supplies ready for a relaxing outdoor meal.
The city park was founded in 1912 on 62 acres of land purchased from John Sheldon, which included Sheldon Lake.
Fort Collins City Park is a popular destination among park visitors. Thanks to its huge green spaces and picnic places where families and friends can get together and relax on a laid-back and peaceful day.
Consider taking a stroll around the lake to take in the breathtaking surroundings.
Watch children use all their energy on the big playground.
Don’t forget to take pictures with the tiny Statue of Liberty model in Fort Collins City Park.
If you’re there on a hot summer day, you can pay to cool off at the City Park Pool, which has thrilling slides and a play area.
Address -1500 W Mulberry St, Fort Collins, CO 80521
2. Visit the Fossil Creek Reservoir Natural Area to Observe Birds
If you enjoy bird watching, the Fossil Creek Reservoir Natural Area on Carpenter Road is the place to be.
The National Audubon Society designated this as an Important Bird Preserve. It hosts migratory, breeding and wintering birds.
The natural region includes a reservoir, wetlands, and 1,398 highlands of meadow.
Prepare your binoculars, cameras, and a useful checklist for your visit, and spot a variety of resident and visiting birds in every season.
Spring is when most bird activity is observed in the area; you’ll see birds getting ready to build nests and hear some of your feathery friends singing.
When the skies are clear in the summer, enjoy stunning sunset vistas, raptor watching, and stargazing.
Enjoy some mental peace by going for a hike on one of the nearby, easily accessible trails in the fall or while watching bald eagles in the winter.
Address – 3340 Carpenter Rd, Fort Collins, CO 80525
3. View the Magnificent Art at 3 Square Art Gallery
One of the unique things to do in Fort Collins is to visit 3 Square Art Gallery where you can enjoy the great contemporary art created by local, national, and international artists.
Located on Donella Court the art facility aspires for collaboration and learning among art lovers, and artists.
Explore the art gallery to see the changing exhibits that will broaden your outlook and stimulate creativity.
By paying great attention to the details or talking about it with your companion, try to decipher the art’s significance.
During the monthly gallery openings, you could get the chance to interact with some of the talented artists.
Address – 2415 Donella Ct Ste 110, Fort Collins, CO 80524
4. Free Beer at New Belgium Brewing Company
Craft beer is unique to Fort Collins, as is the culture that surrounds it.
There are over 20 breweries to pick from while planning your brewery tour, and the city produces a significant portion of Colorado’s craft beer.
Among the biggest craft breweries in the area, New Belgium Brewing Company is situated on Linden Street and was established in 1991.
It is renowned for producing the first certified carbon-neutral beer in America, the Fat Tire Amber Ale, and is a trailblazer in the industry for sustainability and social responsibility.
One of the top things to do in Ft Collins Colorado where you can join a 45-minute free tour of New Belgium Brewing Company to hear about the company’s humble origins.
Learn more about New Belgium Brewing Company’s eco-friendly business methods. These free tours are accessible on a first-come, first-served basis and don’t require bookings.
Address – 500 Linden St, Fort Collins, CO 80524
5. Paddle a Kayak in Poudre River Whitewater Park
Poudre River Whitewater Park offers aquatic fun for kayakers, tubers, and anyone looking for a place to cool off.
The Poudre River Whitewater Park, located on East Vine Drive, just north of Old Town.
The park has riverfront access, an overlook plaza, and a pedestrian bridge to the Poudre Trail. It was created to help the Poudre River in its efforts to be preserved.
There is no lifeguard on duty, so take note of the current water depth and adhere to the park’s health standards.
Poudre River Whitewater Park is a great place to test your whitewater expertise while wearing safety gear.
Alternatively, you might relax while admiring the magnificent views in the park.
Alternatively, you can relax while taking in the park’s wonderful vistas and listening to the sound of the gushing stream.
Address – 201 E Vine Dr, Fort Collins, CO 80524
6. The Fort Collins Outdoor Archery Range is a Great Place to Hone Your Shooting Kills
If you enjoy archery, you might want to check out the Fort Collins Outdoor Archery Range, which is located near East Prospect Road.
The Fort Collins Outdoor Archery Range is free to use year-round, however there are parking fees.
When the city controlled the land, the Fort Collins Archery Association developed and ran the archery range.
On-site practice shooting is permitted at 41 targets, including four FITA targets, 15 normal practice targets, and 22 targets at unmarked distances.
One of the top things to do in Fort Collins this weekend where you can play with the targets that feature the faces of game animals. This is meant to improve your focus, hand-eye coordination, and upper body strength.
Young archers can polish their skills with the on-site kids’ target!
You can take a break on the Fort Collins Outdoor Archery Range’s covered picnic area after spending hours practicing shooting in the static range and field course.
Address – 2825 Frontage Rd, Fort Collins, CO 80525
7. The Northern Colorado Astronomical Society Invites You to Take in the Night Sky
The Northern Colorado Astronomical Society, a nonprofit that organizes many observation programmes in various Fort Collins sites each year, can help you get acquainted with the science of astronomy.
Utilize telescopes and pertinent information provided by volunteers to learn more about the stars, planets, and galaxies. Provided, this is one of the cool things to do in Fort Collins CO with kids.
Take pictures of the starry night skies to help you remember and reflect on the boundless beauty of the Earth and universe. Let yourself be mesmerized by their magnificence.
To fully enjoy the experience, bring a chair or blanket and wear warm clothing as it may become very chilly at night.
For further information, visit the websites of the City of Fort Collins Engage and the Northern Colorado Astronomical Society.
Address – 1699 Manford Av. Estes Park CO 80517
8. Visit the Annual Flower Trial Garden and Delight Your Senses
The well-kept Annual Flower Trial welcomes you with vibrant colors and subtle smells.
The W. D. Holley Plant Environmental Research Center was the previous home of the Annual Flower Trial Garden until it was moved to a 2.9-acre park on Remington Street in 2000.
Embark on a revitalizing stroll in the flower-filled garden which is considered among the great Fort Collins activities.
Wear your best outfit when visiting with your family and friends because every area of the garden is Instagrammable.
Take time to photograph the lovely annuals, discover more about them, and enjoy their beauty.
Visit the Annual Flower Trial Garden, where you might get some gardening ideas as well!
Address – 1401 Remington St, Fort Collins, CO 80524
9. Explore the Gregory Allicar Museum of Art’s Vast Collections
You can reach the Gregory Allicar Museum of Art by strolling a short distance from the Annual Flower Trial Garden.
The Colorado State University Center for the Arts’ first floor houses the museum, which has an expanding collection of more than 5,000 pieces of art.
The Gregory Allicar Museum of Art, which opened its doors in 2009, has 10,000 square feet of gallery space and another 4,000 square feet for storage and setup areas for exhibitions.
One of the best things to do in Fort Collins today where you can discover your own personal meaning in the paintings, photography, sculptures, and ceramics that are on display inside the museum.
Explore the historical and traditional artifacts on display to learn about the various civilizations from around the world.
African and Native American art are featured in the Gregory Allicar Museum of Art’s permanent collection installations.
The Griffin Foundation, which houses a rotating schedule of exhibitions, is its largest gallery.
Address – 1400 Remington St, Fort Collins, CO 80524
10. Stay Active at Spring Canyon Park
When visiting Spring Canyon Park, be sure to bring the necessary workout gear and get ready to exert some energy.
This 100-acre public park offers a variety of enduring and distinctive features where you can engage in a variety of physical activities.
Bring your bike and enjoy a ride on the bike path in Spring Canyon Park, or play a competitive game of sports on one of the many fields and courts available.
It’s a great idea to bring the kids to Spring Canyon Park so they may play.
One of the fun things to do in Fort Collins with kids where they can visit the widely accessible, seasonal huge splash area and playground.
There is also a two-acre dog park with a lake for dogs.
Cottonwood Glen Neighborhood is easily accessible from Spring Canyon. To enjoy more outdoor activities, Cottonwood Glen Neighborhood Park, Pine Ridge Natural Area, and Spring Creek Trail are all accessible from Spring Canyon Park.
Visit this lush park at the western terminus of Horsetooth Road, between Taft Hill Road and Overland Trail Road.
Address – Unnamed Road, Fort Collins, CO 80526
Best Places To Eat in Fort Collins
Fort Collins has a lot to offer in terms of food, history, and the natural world.
Museums, specialty stores, hiking paths, and other thrilling attractions are all available for visitors to choose from.
The city in northern Colorado is also widely recognized for having a large number of breweries.
Other delectable foods are served alongside a refreshing pint of beer.
Discover what this city’s food scene has to offer by dining at some of Fort Collins’ greatest restaurants.
- Young’s Cafe Vietnamese Cuisine – Since 1987, Young’s Cafe Vietnamese Cuisine has been providing traditional Vietnamese and Chinese cuisine in a relaxed atmosphere. The relaxed setting and generous quantities of traditional Asian foods make this restaurant one of Fort Collins’s top choices. Start off with some Vegetable Crystal Rolls, then have some Traditional Beef Noodle Soup.
Address – 3307 S College Ave, Fort Collins, CO 80525
- Lucile’s Restaurant – Dine in the cheerful, cottage-style surroundings of this restaurant and enjoy the best lunch in Fort Collins. You’ll even get a nice view of a straightforward garden as its decor is evocative of a tranquil rural cottage. Go ahead and order some of the homemade beignets and a bowl of the gumbo.
Address – 400 S Meldrum St, Fort Collins, CO 80521
- Urban Egg a daytime eatery – The award-winning breakfast and lunch restaurant Urban Egg sources its ingredients from the area for each of its menu items. This location’s relaxed atmosphere is ideal for maintaining your full attention on the delectable breakfast fare that is offered. Grab a serving of the Pastrami Hash with the Colorado Berry Streusel. The Luscious Vanilla Sangria is the perfect accompaniment to these.
Address – 230 S College Ave Unit B, Fort Collins, CO 80524
- Rodizio Grill – Brazilian steakhouse Rodizio Grill is renowned for its skewered meats and cozy setting. The Picanha is this restaurant’s hallmark dish; try it. Then serve it with feijoada, followed by a Pudim de Leite.
Address – 200 Jefferson St, Fort Collins, CO 80524
Best Places to Stay in Fort Collins
Here are our choices for the top hotels in Fort Collins CO –
- Armstrong Hotel – If you want to discover Fort Collins’ historic side, the Armstrong Hotel is a fantastic place to start. One of the three old historic hotels that are still in business today is this one. It once held two dining halls and had the largest celebration areas in the vicinity. Due to its downtown location, visitors will have easy access to a variety of tour activities like the Foothills Day Trip, Bike Tours, and the City Park, a fantastic family attraction.
Address – 259 S College Ave, Fort Collins, CO 80524
- Hilton Fort Collins – When it comes to hospitality, Hilton Hotels have a solid reputation. The Hilton Fort Collins is frequently picked by folks who are organizing large events because it has 250 rooms available. They hope to host weddings and conventions at their 20,000 square foot venue. The hotel’s proximity to Colorado State University is another factor in the majority of visitors’ behavior. The hotel is a favorite destination for parents who visit their college-age children.
Address – 425 W Prospect Rd, Fort Collins, CO 80526
- Fort Collins Marriott – The Marriott at Fort Collins is another hotel that is well-liked on campus. The hotel has a higher level of professionalism because it is also a global brand. This location’s proximity to Fort Collins’ mountain ranges is one of its best features. The Marriott, which offers a banquet space with space for up to 650 guests, is a well-liked alternative for weddings, just like the Hilton.
Address – 350 E Horsetooth Rd, Fort Collins, CO 80525
- Best Western Kiva Inn – When choosing a hotel to stay at, travelers typically take comfort into account. That is just what the Best Western Kiva Inn provides. Visitors will have easy access to Fort Fun and the Odell Brewing Company because the hotel is situated in the city’s center. The spacious 62 air-conditioned rooms provide guests a choice in the location of their stay. The hotel has a swimming pool and complete business services, although being smaller than Hilton and Marriott.
Address – 1638 E Mulberry St, Fort Collins, CO 80524
When Are You Planning your Fort Collins Trip?
Fort Collins is a small but vibrant city, and its popularity is growing every day. It’s a magical place that you shouldn’t miss, and there are plenty of things to do in Fort Collins to keep you busy for days. From outdoor adventure, to museums, breweries and parks, there’s something for everyone in Fort Collins. So if you’re lucky enough to take a vacation in Colorado anytime soon, be sure to include Fort Collins on your itinerary.
Check Out: Things To Do in Breckenridge Colorado